Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gentle Guidance Toward Wise Choices Builds Confidence

Marisa was due to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed this past weekend. The thing that excited her most about the event was that the doctor was located close to one of her favorite malls. "After my teeth are pulled out, lets go to the mall!" she said enthusiastically. "Well ... okay" I said, "but let's see how you feel!" "We'll go to the mall!" she replied.

I realized that it wasn't worth arguing over. I figured Marisa would come to her senses once the oral surgery was over.

We arrived at the doctor's office at 8:45 AM on Saturday morning. It was a very cold but sunny day, and Marisa was eager to get it over with so she could drive 5 minutes down the road to the mall where her favorite stores were. She came prepared with her coupons and wallet.

The dental assistant came out and asked Marisa to remove her jewelry and glasses which were placed in a cup for safekeeping. She handed me the cup to hold for her and eagerly went in to the examining room while I stayed back in the waiting room.

About 10 minutes later Marisa emerged, cheeks puffed out with gauze wrap to stop the bleeding, having a stunned wide-eyed look on her face. "Replace the gauze a couple of times in the next 45 minutes," I was told by the doctor. We were given a prescription for an antibiotic and sent on our way with extra gauze and an instruction sheet.

"Well!" I said as we left the building no more than 45 minutes after we had arrived, "Should we go to the mall or go home? We can always go to the mall tomorrow!" "Go home!" she said. We'll go to the mall tomorrow."

I was happy that she was able to put the mall trip on hold for at least one day.

Later that afternoon, I watched as Marisa danced to her favorite music on iTunes. It was good to know that she was able to make a wise decision based on how she was feeling. That's why it wasn't worth worrying in advance about what decision she would make. Rather than forcing her to go home, I gave her the opportunity to make that choice on her own. This not only enforced my faith in her ability to make a wise choice, but gave her the chance to feel confident with her decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment