Thursday, May 27, 2010

Learning to Care for Others While Teaching a New Skill

Marisa loves to exercise. She enjoys Nintendo Wii Fit and Wii Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party. Interactive exercise activities that use a TV screen, are a wonderful incentive for kids to get in shape. It certainly worked for Marisa, but I learned there is more to be gained from this form of exercise than meets the eye.

Along with the benefit of exercise, there is the ability to improve one's reading and comprehension. In a very functional way, while reading the on screen directions, one must be able to focus and fully understand what is required. If necessary, a parent should help their child through the steps, until they are able to grasp the meaning of the instructions on their own.

When Marisa first received Wii Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party, she requested that I buy her a second mat.

"Why do you need a second mat?" I had asked.

"Because I want a friend to play along with me," she said.

When we purchased Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 2, Marisa did get her second mat. Then she was ready to start having friends over to play with her. She thought that having someone to dance along with her would be great fun, but was not prepared at all for what was to come. She wanted to have fun, but didn't realize that in order to do this, she might have to teach her friend what to do.

Marisa was very excited when a friend came over to play Dance Dance Revolution with her. I watched Marisa get ready to dance. Then I realized there was going to be a real problem, since she was not ready or willing to teach the game to her friend.

"Marisa, you need to go over the steps with your friend, and then start out on the easiest level, until he is familiar with what to do," I told her.

Realizing that the fun of dancing with a friend was not going to happen until she offered some guidance, Marisa took the time to go over the steps. I watched, and then they began.

As the music started to play, and the arrows moved along on the TV screen, I was amazed at how Marisa suddenly took charge. She called out each move with such purpose and authority I had never seen or heard before. She not only watched the screen and did each move, but watched her partner to make sure he was in step with her.

I stood there in awe of this new skill! Not only was Marisa following the steps and keeping in time, but she was helping her friend to stay on track with her. I realized that we had most certainly reached a very special milestone that day. Marisa, my daughter with autism, was thinking of another person's need. She was actually being a teacher. Certainly what was involved was more than the ability to comprehend instructions. Compassion and understanding of someones need for help was a bonus I had not anticipated when I purchased this game. Yet, here it was occurring in a very natural way. A new idea came to mind. Was it too much to believe that Marisa might actually be able to have a job helping others learn to dance some day?

Yesterday, Marisa walked in the door at 5:30 P.M. It was a long day. I asked her how her day was. Her reply was a total surprise!

"Good ... and how was your day at work mom?"

Then I thought, perhaps Marisa really had developed the ability to understand other people's feelings. Was it possible that Wii Dance Dance Revolution played some small part in helping her get there?



No comments:

Post a Comment