Monday, May 17, 2010

What's Private? What's Not?

Marisa was clicking away at the computer. She was on IM and responding to someone else.
"Who's there?" I asked her.
"Oh just someone." she responded as she clicked away at the keys.
This didn't sound right to me.
I rushed over to see what was up. I saw an angry response from the sister of one of Marisa's friends.
"How rude! How dare you ask me that?" the girl responded.
"Marisa what did you ask?"
"Oh, just for Robert's password."
"Marisa what do you think the purpose of a password is anyway? It is a secret code to a person's private account whether it is for e-mail, Facebook or a bank account. It isn't meant to be shared with anyone else, because it's that person's private records. It's okay to ask for birthdays, schools attending, or perhaps where someone is going on vacation, but NEVER a password!"
"Oh, okay, I'm sorry!" she replied.
"Well, tell that to Robert's sister, not to me," I responded.
Marisa quickly sent an IM apology and explained that her mother yelled at her for asking for Robert's password. She then received a quick and understanding response. "That's okay, your mom shouldn't be so hard on you. You're forgiven."
I realized that this girl must really understand Marisa's disability to be so quick at forgiving.
Marisa sighed with relief, but then giggled at what she must have realized was her sneakiness and mischievous request. I started to think about what she did, and I wondered how clever she really is.
"Were you playing innocent with Robert's sister?" I asked Marisa.
She giggled again and remarked, "Well, I thought it didn't hurt to ask?"
Marisa then explained that she thought she could get into her friend's e-mail and check out who he corresponds with. She IS smarter than I thought.
"Marisa, some things are private and should stay private. It is NEVER okay to ask for anyone else's password ... EVER, and by the way ... don't give out your passwords either."
"Okay!" she replied with another giggle under her breath.
Then I thought ... I better keep watching those IM remarks ... just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment