Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My New Blog - Day 1

Since writing my book, Finding Marisa - A Mother's Story, published in 2007, so many good things have happened for Marisa. Although I am continuing to keep a journal of what I consider to be important events in Marisa's life, I have decided that for my own benefit and hopefully for the benefit of others, I would post daily positive moments here.

Each day I will try to find a positive moment with Marisa that will be a learning experience for her. I strongly believe that we all learn from the many things that happen to us in a day, and we all continue to learn throughout our lives. Every experience one has is a learning experience, and so my purpose here will be to find at least one positive learning experience to post each day. For example, just crossing the street can be a learning experience in the realm of safety. Likewise, opening the door to a store and letting other customers out before you push your way in, is an important social skill to be learned. Moments like this should not be lost. It is "functional learning" and "incidental learning" that is so important in the lives of our children with autism and special needs. These important moments should not be lost or overlooked. Hopefully by posting my special moments with Marisa, it will help others become more aware of the many special learning moments that are possible with their own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment