Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Very Special Small Moment I learned From

Marisa was about to leave for her camp program where she would spend a summer focusing on activities of daily living skills necessary to living independently. Since Marisa had acquired an interest in healthy eating, she recently purchased a book called Slim and Scrumptious by Joy Bauer. She perused the book for recipes that appealed to her, and I suggested she place post-its on those pages.

She had selected 2 recipes that she wanted to try with me. One was a meatball and spaghetti recipe and the other was a grilled chicken burger recipe she wished to use for July 4th. Because of some errands and last minute things we needed to do before leaving for camp, I ended up only being able to prepare the turkey meatball recipe on July 4th.

"You can have the counselors try the chicken burgers at camp since barbecuing is more frequent there," I said apologetically.

"Yes, I'll pack my book," was Marisa's answer.

"Okay, let's tackle this recipe," I said with a sigh. It was a hot day, and I really would have preferred lounging in the pool in the late afternoon and then grilling some hotdogs with saurkraut, but I couldn't disappoint Marisa. She was just so enthusiastic about her expanding interest in cooking nutritious and healthy foods. The anticipation and eagerness shone in her eyes as she waited to begin.

"You pull out the ingredients and we'll give it a try," I said. For 37 years I had been preparing meatballs and spaghetti the same way. I wasn't quite sure this method of cooking was going to work. Rather than sauteeing onions, mushrooms and the meatballs before adding the sauce, the process was completely different. Marisa added the ingredients and mixed it all together and then we proceeded to cook the meatballs according to the directions. As the cooking progressed, an aroma rose up in the kitchen that was beyond all expectation and I remarked,

"Wow, this is wonderful! I can't wait to try this," I said, as I glanced in the pot to find this was really working out just fine!

When we sat down to eat these fabulously healthy meatballs with whole wheat spaghetti on July 4th, I looked at Marisa and my husband and remarked,

"Here's a small moment I learned from and now after 37 years, I'm going to change the way I prepare my meatballs. Thank you so much, Marisa, for being the one to teach me something new."

There's so much to be learned and mostly we're helping our kids learn the things that are important for them to know. But think how special it is if we are able to learn something from our children, and how good it must make them feel about themselves ... to be able to teach us something too.

So for all of you out there who are sick and tired of making the same old recipes over and over again, here's something new and special to try ... something selected by my daughter with autism who has been on an amazing healthy eating kick for this past year. Eat healthy and enjoy this one from Marisa!

Joy's Turkey Meatballs from Slim and Scrumptious
(I doubled this recipe)
1. 3 26 oz. jars of marinara sauce
2. In a large bowl mix 2 finely chopped onions, 2 carrots and 4 minced garlic gloves, 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
3. Add 2 1/2 pounds of ground turkey, 4 egg whites and 1/2 cup Quaker oats. Mix all ingredients well.
4. Shape meatballs to 1 1/2" diameter.
5. Carefully place meatballs into sauce that has been warmed on medium. Meatballs do not have to be completely covered by sauce.
6. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes with cover on the pot but do not stir at all.
7. Uncover and stir meatballs gently to cover meatballs with sauce, and then continue to cook covered for another 20 minutes. Then serve with whole wheat spaghetti.


No comments:

Post a Comment