Tuesday, July 20, 2010

In Search of Healthy Recipes

Since Marisa is away at camp, I am not having as many small moments for her to learn from. However, that does not mean that I can't learn a thing or two from Marisa long distance. Marisa continues to have a strong interest in eating healthy foods, and I should have realized that she would be researching new recipes for me to try at home.

When her camp cabin took a trip in to town to visit the local library, I wondered what book Marisa would sign out. Would it be another Hannah Montana book or some other teen celebrity's latest story written from a TV series? When I received a thick letter from Marisa that included a number of pages, I was soon to find out. What was inside that envelope was a very pleasant surprise! Here's what she had to say.

"Here are the recipes from The Weight Watcher's Cookbook that I want to make for dinner.

Southwestern Salmon
Tuna-Noodle Casserole
Tofu Stir-Fry
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (as a side dish for the salmon)

"When I come home from camp, we could make the recipes from The Weight Watcher's Cookbook."

After reading her letter and glancing at the recipes, I knew that my work was cut out for me. I will try these recipes before Marisa comes home. How nice to have 4 new enticing recipes! So for today's post, I will include the 1st one for anyone out there interested in trying something healthful and new.

Southwestern Salmon
(This makes 2 servings, so for more I suggest doubling the recipe)
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves or 1/3 if using dried cilantro
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
dash hot red pepper sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 to 3/4 pound salmon steak
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced

Direction:
1. In a food processor, combine the cilantro, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper sauce, and water; puree. Transfer to a large zip-close plastic bag; add the salmon. Seal the bag, squeezing out the air; turn to coat the salmon. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, 1 hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F; spray a 9-inch-square baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange the bell peppers in a single layer in the pan. Bake, turning once, 20 minutes.

3. Drain the salmon; discard the marinade. Place the salmon on top of the peppers. Bake until the fish is just opaque in the center, 5-6 minutes on each side.
A new recipe will follow tomorrow. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment