Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Is it Possible That There's a Role Reversal?

Back in February 2011 I wrote a post entitled Moving Ahead on the Road to Independence. It didn't occur to me then, that the task of teaching Marisa to prepare salads for our family dinner would be mastered as quickly as it was. Marisa learned to prepare a salad using 8 vegetables. She learned to wash and dry the vegetables, cut by hand and use the food processor to shred and slice others. This is not your ordinary lettuce and tomato salad. It is a favorite combination of vegetables and seasonings that I use to prepare our dinner salad every day. It never occurred to me that Marisa would master this goal completely in less than two months. I am happy and proud to say that she has done just that!

So how is it that Marisa was able to accomplish this goal so quickly I asked myself? Then I decided to ask her that question.

"I'm going to move to my own apartment!" she answered.

I was surprised! But why should I be surprised? Marisa, just like any young person on the brink of adulthood, is eager to assert her independence. She is trying to learn all things necessary to accomplish that goal. And one thing that she should be able to do is prepare her meals. So, preparing a salad may not require oven cooking skills, but it does require some understanding of hygiene in handling food and some knowledge of how to handle knives and a food processor safely.

Then a couple of weeks ago I walked in to the kitchen after completing my treadmill workout. There was Marisa already busy at the kitchen work island. She had assembled the salad bowl, the cutting board and all the ingredients for the preparation of our dinner salad. WOW! I thought. I never even asked!

"That's great Marisa! You've started my salad for me. I'll help you get it done," I said.

What really surprised me was what she said to me in response.

"Mom! Do you like helping me out?"

I looked over at her as she busied herself cutting red pepper into precise 1/2 slices. I was amazed and delighted by her question. This is truly a role reversal! 


"I absolutely do! I love helping you out and watching you do such a super job too!"

I feel blessed and grateful that she is eager and able to learn these skills. Then I thought about all the time and hard work teaching Marisa the skills she needs to help her manage on her own. She really, really wants this. No matter how long, I will share her pride when she is able to accomplish this goal one day. The time and effort will be well worth it for both of us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment